What causes pain and bleeding after tooth extraction?

Dr. Dipti Singh

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Dental Health
Question: I had a tooth extracted earlier today, it last 3.5 hours and they had to cut and remove some bone as well. They placed a plug type thing into the hole and stitched it however it came out and now the pain is throbbing worse and the bleeding has started again. Should i worry or call the on call dentist!
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Visit your dentist for proper suturing of socket.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, XXXXXX
Thank you for consulting with HCM.
This is Dr. Dipti Singh here to answer your query.

The type of extraction you are mentioning that it took 3.5 hours and bone was also removed, it might be a traumatic extraction. In these cases you have to take proper precautions and preventive measures, like ice packs on extraction site, less mouth opening and less talking.
The plug which you are mentioning it might be a pressure pack to control the bleeding.
But if the pack has came out and even the bleeding has started , then you have to visit your dentist as early as possible for proper examination, as pack might have controlled the bleeding, but bleeding from socket now means the suture might have removed or stitching might not have done properly.

So call or visit your dentist.
Hope it will help you.
Thank you
Dr. Dipti Singh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Dipti Singh 32 minutes later
Thank you so much. I called the office hnumber and left a message for the doctor to get this set up as soon as possible.
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good move...

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX

I am glad you contacted the doctor. Thank you for your response . If you are satisfied with the answer please close the query and rate it.

Dr. Dipti Singh