question-icon

What causes pain after urination?

Posted on Mon, 25 Jul 2016
Question: I have pain when I finish peeing. Had a hysterectomy about a year ago and doc nicked my ureter. After a stent for a month I was fine. Just thinking whether this is a ER possibility given my history or just probably a UTI and can wait till Tuesday.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (10 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Considerations.

Detailed Answer:
hello and thanks for the query.

This sounds suspicious for early UTI symptoms. I would be more concerned if you had severe pain or if you noticed significant blood in the urine.

You may have some increased urinary frequency or urgency associated with a UTI as well. Ideally it would be a good idea to get started on treatment sooner - perhaps an urgent care facility might be able to address this need.

If your symptoms are minimal and not progressive then it would be reasonable to see your physician on Tuesday for Followup care

Thanks again for sending the query,

Sincerely,

Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga (57 minutes later)
Noticed this problem about an hour or two ago. Pain is now constant and much increased and feels like it is in the bladder area. Almost in tears now and no way I can sleep. Yikes!!!
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (9 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

I think this is best served by a visit to urgent care or the ER.

You may need an antibiotic which might help your symptoms improve quickly.

Sincerely,

Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist