What causes pain above left side of chest?

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I feel sweet pain above my left side of chest which remains continuous some time during the working hours and some time at night too.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see below.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir
The pain typical of angina is like a heavy object placed on your chest, esp behind breastbone, which may go to lower jaw, arms or umbilicus, comes on exertion/ physical or mental stress, relieves by rest, may be associated with breathlessness, sweating or nausea.
Pain which lasts for less than minute, comes at certain posture, may be elicited by touch or pressure or lasts for hours together is less likely to be anginal.
Other causes of pain include local pains from bone or muscle which typically increases on pressure. Pain from gut is burning in nature which increases after meals or lying down. Pain from lungs increases with cough or deep inspiration.
Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari