What causes pagets disease?

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: Paget disease she have
Kindly suggest me
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see below answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

Pagets disease of breast is considered cancer condition along with underlying cancer.

Since it is difficult to differentiate between eczema and pagets disease in pathology I assume the report you have attached is thoroughly double checked by expert pathologist.

If such a patient comes to me I try to find out underlying cancer in the breast . If there is no clinically palpable lump then I suggest to get mammography done to find out cancer spot. Also I suggest to undergo ultrasound of axilla(armpit) on the same side to diagnose non palpable lymphnodes enlargement.

The treatment by lumpectomy or mastectomy depends upon size of underlying cancer. And depending on lymph node status chemotherapy and/ radiotherapy is decided.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad