What causes oxygen saturation level to drop in an angina patient?

Posted on Wed, 24 Sep 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My mother, 86, has a slow pulse around 56 and low O2 sat level 85 while on a nasal cannula set at 3 lpm? She has a hx of angina with a stint installed in the 90s. Her O2 sat level has been getting lower over the last two days.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Will recover, once infection is under control.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Looking the the clinical history and query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Pulse rate is good. Hope her respiratory rate is also normal. It might be mildly increased.

2. Yes, oxygen saturation is low, however, it is maintainable at present. If required, increase delivery can be tried.

3. If she is able to talk and eat well, she will recover soon. Her clinical details are very limited to give any opinion.

Once the infection comes under control, she will recover.

Hopefully her fever is under control.

Not to worry at present.
Family support and good nutrition is essential. Continue with the same treatment.

Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist