question-icon

What causes overdistended gall bladder?

Posted on Mon, 14 Dec 2015
Question: What is lumen over distended in gallbladder
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Can be due to gall stones.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Over distended lumen means dilation of cavity more than the normal. It is more than 2mm in thickness or greater than 5cm diameter. This can be due to gallstones or inflammatory process.

This should be correlated with clinical findings. If you have acute episode of pain after fatty food intake associated with fever or vomiting it can be acute cholecystitis. If there is pain and discomfort for a long period of time which is aggravated by taking fatty foods then it can be chronic choecystitis. If without symptoms it can be silent gall stones also.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Dr. Nishad BN