question-icon

What causes ovary cysts in an elderly woman?

Posted on Sat, 4 Apr 2020
Question: I've had cysts in vaginal area that surgeon in lacrosse hospital removed by freezing the cycle somehow sorry I'll have to wait I guess even though I won at casino I have to many questions to continue on-line sorry to have bothered you I do have insurance I'm having surgury 8:30 on April 20th for that unless it's a consultation before surgury that day at Black River Falls, Wi I'm fascinated how and what kind of procedure I got medical books only was a certified nursing assistant twice but was always interested in the techniques kind of sort of research and if a biopsy of the ovary will that be preformed. What exactly would a calisfied cyst be anyway how could this happen and cause I never heard of but there are two version of the kind of cyst written in the medical book my tummy has increases 3 inches since last measured that was about 4or5 weeks ago.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel (17 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Laparoscopic surgery will be with excision & biopsy of the ovary with cyst.

Detailed Answer:

* There are various reasons for ovary cyst at 71 years as benign cyst from fluid accumulation, hormone changes, dermoid or other malignant tumors.

* The biopsy of ovary is the ultimate confirmatory diagnostic tool for any ovary lesion ( which will be definitely taken during your surgery on 20th april, usually laparoscopic removal of the same).

* Usually unless very large, isolated small ovary cysts do not give gross tummy distension.

* Through surgery only those elements will be recovered which are due to the ovary cyst, rest symptoms as if you have GERD and gastric upset, it may remain after surgery.

Kindly give further details so that I can answer your query completely.

1. All symptoms in details.
2. Ultrasound report as an attachment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Bhagyesh V. Patel
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel

General Surgeon