question-icon

What causes oval shaped lump in right breast?

Posted on Tue, 19 May 2015
Question: hi im 50 years old female premenoposal i found a lump in my right breast its oval shape about 2 cm i thinh its soft cause its not hard like a frozen pea or a bean and i think it moves under my figers and theres lots of bumps in both breasts.what could that be .thank you
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

It is possible that what you're feeling represents some fibrocystic change which is very common in the female breast. This can happen with fluctuating hormones levels as well.

Of course we must rule out the possibility that this could represent a tumor which is why it is very important for you to make an appointment with your primary care doctor for a physical examination.your doctor may consider requesting a mammogram with ultrasound which will give us much more information regarding what you're feeling.

The imaging study can help us determine if this is just a benign cystic change or if it is something that might require a biopsy. since there is still a small chance that this could represent a cancer I think it's very important for you to make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist