What causes otitis externa?
Seems to be Otitis Externa.
Thank you for your query.
1. A swollen tragus without any piercing will usually be due to an Otitis Externa (swimmer's ear).
2. Since you have dizziness, the ear canal and ear drum must be examined to see how deep the infection and inflammation is.
3. Surrounding structures in the tragal area such as the parotid salivary gland, jaw joint and lymph nodes must also be examined.
4. You should get this examined and get antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medication, ear drops, local ointments to relieve the swelling and prevent its spread. This is all the more important if any the symptoms worsen or if new ones develop.
5. If the infection spreads to the cartilage, mediation does not easily reach there due to poor blood supply. In such cases, intravenous medication helps.
6. A search for any cause decreasing your immunity should be made as this tragal swelling has happened without any piercing. Did you scratch yourself accidentally?
7. Upload a close-up image of both ears (for comparison) if you cannot get this examined soon.
I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment for acute otitis externa
- Malignant otitis externa causes
- Allergic otitis externa causes
- Oral antibiotics for otitis externa
- Acute otitis externa causes
- Otitis externa treatment in adults
- Ear drops for otitis externa
- Antibiotics for malignant otitis externa
- Otitis externa causes
- Fungal otitis externa causes