• question-icon

What causes osteoporosis during menopause?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Doctor:

I spoke with a doctor from your practice about my recent bone density scan which revealed osteoporosis of the spine and both hips. I am not sure what the test result meant when it says that the bone mineral density is below for someone my age sex and race need to rule out secondary causes. What could be considered secondary causes hopefully not cancer? Thank you for your help.

Hi again Doctor:

I forgot to mention in my most recent question that the bone density scan did say there is no significant bone loss. I just don't understand why it says to look into secondary causes but yet it says to f/u in 2 years with BMD if necessary or sooner. My mom and dad both had myleodysplastic syndrome/leukemia later on in life, so that draws concern.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry. Treatment needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concerns.

Let me assure you that such a thing is common in post-menopausal women and hormone deprivation is a likely factor that contributes to osteoporosis. Vitamin D deficiency (due to staying indoors) is another possible contributor.

Cancer, myelodysplastic syndrome/leukemia is not a likely contributor and so you need not worry.

Nevertheless, the osteoporosis needs to be treated.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha