What causes orange discoloration on clothing while sweating?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Recently when I wear white T-shirts or white shorts, capris, etc., when I sweat there is an orange discoloration on my clothes that is impossible to get out in the wash. What is exuding from my pores?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A number of things to be checked and ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. There are a number of things you will have to check in order to reach the cause for this discolouration on your clothing, they are:

+The kind of soap you are using: If at all you have been using a new soap since this started, then the soap could be the cause

+Call the company supplying you your water, and ask them to check the iron content of the water

+Bleach or detergents used to wash clothes

+Any body wash or cosmetics being used on your body

+If at all you went for an artificial XXXXXXX

I hope this helps. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
None of the above applies. I have not changed soap, we have well water, have not changed any detergent, nor body cosmetics and no artificial XXXXXXX Nothing has happened to my husbands white golf shirts, tshirts, underwear, etc. I have not changed any meds recently. Yesterday we were at a reunion. Sitting outside (live in Ohio), it was warm with a breeze but by the time I left and got home there were orange stains on my white capris starting from the inside and seeping out--mostly down around the knee area, back of legs, crotch area and the entire waist band inside and out was stained--not a solid but blotchy. I immediately put the pants in the wash and even added white vinegar, I cannot get the stains out.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you for your help with that

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Thank you for that response.

It greatly helps as you have ruled out some of the most common causes for the presentation you are experiencing, but that leaves us with 2 possibilities that come to my mind now:

1. There are numerous food items and drinks that have numerous colouring agents in them, and many individuals experience these dyes leaving their body int he form of sweat from the pores in the skin, coloured urine, or even coloured stool. I would thus request you to think of the items you have been drinking or eating that could have colouring agents in them (not necessarily orange), and try to discontinue it to see if there is a change

2. I would also like to request you to visit a clinic or a doctor to get your body metal contents checked, to see if any one of them are higher than normal (e.g. serum iron)

Please keep in touch and do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 14 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I'm sure number 1 relates to my issue. I forgot I was taking a 14 day OTC Prilosec treatment for heartburn--as advertised "the purple little pill". My last pill was Saturday. I feel comfortable that it is the crux of my issue. If for some reason it continues after a long while, I will definitely go to my family physician for follow up.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I am glad we could work together :)

Detailed Answer:
Hi ma'am.

Well, I am glad we could work together towards finding the cause for this issue. :)

This is nothing serious and if you wish not to go to the doctor for it, you need not do so. But if at all the presentation continues to persist even after you have discontinued the suspected cause, then report to your doctor or write to me and we can find the problem to whatever you seem to be having a problem with. :)

I wish you loads of luck and good health always. :)

Best wishes.