What causes oral thrush?

Dr. Riyanka Chail

Posted on Wed, 27 May 2015 in Infections
Question: is this thrush
Answered by Dr. Riyanka Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestive of oral thrush

Detailed Answer:

Hello Sir,
Thanks for writing in to us at hcm.
This is Dr.Riyanka and I am glad to be helping you with your query.

Presence of white' cottage cheese' like patches on the mucosa of the mouth , tongue , hard palate and soft palate are suggestive of oral thrush.

In the picture on the inner aspect of your lip on the left side a white patch is seen along with a crack on the right side of your lower lip.

It could mostly be oral thrush.
It is caused by Candida Albicans which is a normal commensal of the throat but its growth suddenly increases when the balance of microorganisms of the mouth gets upset due to certain medications like:

1.antibiotics
2.steroids

It can also occur in immunocompromised states like:
1. HIV
2. diabetes
3. cancer
However, it can occur due to stress too.

Kindly consult a dermatologist as a scrapping from the lesion and direct observation under the microscope will help confirm the diagnosis.

Also, a treatment of oral antifungal medications like Clotrimazole lozenges 10 mg, 5 times daily for 14 days is helpful in such conditions.However, kindly first consult a dermatologist before taking any medications.

Hope this answers your query. Don't worry .
Do write back if you have any further doubts.
Get well soon
Dr.Riyanka

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Riyanka Chail 16 minutes later
it sounds like HIV because i've been getting muscle aches on one side and it doesnt bother me unless i drink water
Answered by Dr. Riyanka Chail 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV tests need to be done for confirmation

Detailed Answer:

Hello Sir,
Thanks for writing back to us .

Before coming to a diagnosis of HIV it is important to get it confirmed by diagnostic tests for HIV antibodies through ELISA method or western bot method.

For this you need to consult a physician to get yourself tested.
Also a consultation with a dermatologist regarding oral thrush is very important to bring down the fungal infection.

Yes oral thrush may bother you while drinking water but if not treated immediately it can cause more problems.

Please do write back for anymore queries.

Get well soon.
Dr.Riyanka
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj