What causes oral thrush while on Bactrim?

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
I have been on Bactrim for 2 weeks now and recently developed thrush. I was wondering if this on the side of my tongue looks like thrush or something else.
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like Lichenoid reaction.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Looking at the lesions on your tongue ,it looks like Lichenoid reaction .

Lichenoid reaction may occur due to drug usage like Bactrim(Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim),or even pain killers like Non steroidal Antiinflammatory drug like Ibuprofen..

Oral thrush(Candidates) generally presents as slightly elevated , whitened plaques that can be wiped away to leave a reddened bleeding base.

You may find relief by applying following oral gel:
Steroid oral paste like triamcinolone oral paste, and Oral Antifungal like Clotimazole oral paint.

Also avoid eating spicy food.Eat a diet rich in fresh fruit and vegetables. Avoid injury to the sides of tongue by teeth during eating.

Hope this answers your question.I would be happy to answer if you have any further questions.Taje care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Riddhi Shah 25 minutes later
I am on Nystatin mouthwash for the thrush. I am relieved that it is not something serious .
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue with Nystatin mouth wash.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for your reply.

Continue using Nystatin mouth wash.

Also apply steroid mouth paste like triamcinolone oral paste over the sides of tongue.