question-icon

What causes oral submucous fibrosis?

Posted on Fri, 15 May 2015
Question: Mouth not open properly but no problem to eating but slightly pain under the ear near jaw joint
As I eat supari & pan XXXXXXX presently slightly pain near the jaw joint pl.help me
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
OSMF: Oral SubMucous Fibrosis.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. This condition is known as OSMF: Oral Submucous Fibrosis and is due to the supari, pan XXXXXXX and tobacco products. This condition is predominantly seen in XXXXXXX

2. Stop the supari & pan XXXXXXX to prevent this problem for increasing.

3. Get an oral examination done to check the extent of the problem and the mouth opening.

4. Start multivitamins and request a weekly injection of Kenacort (triamcinolone) in the retromolar trigone area after a 10-15% lignocaine spray for six weeks. This treatment usually leads to improvement in the mouth opening and reduction in the pain under the ear near the jaw joint. Avoid spicy food.

5. These conditions are considered pre-cancerous (in some patients) and hence regular follow up is recommended.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist