What causes oral ingestion of mosquito repellent liquid accidentally?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: By bf taken mosquitoo liquid ovr syring to his body... plz advic.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow instructions below as required

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. It is not clear if mosquito repellent liquid was ingested orally or there was only skin contact.

2. If there is oral ingestion of mosquito repellent liquid then please take the patient to hospital for first aid. There is a small chance of the liquid getting aspirated in to the lungs and causing pneumonia. Some patients also complain of vomiting and drowsiness which requires to be treated in a hospital.

3. If the mosquito repellent came in contact with skin then it is not a serious concern and can be completely washed off by taking a bath. The chemicals do not penetrate the skin.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist