Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

200 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes one sided headache after dog bite?

Answered by
Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 3094 Questions

Posted on Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: My daughter was hit in the nose by her dog 3 days ago and has had migraine type pain off and on - left side of her head since then. There is a very slight face swelling. Pain is simlar to when she has sinus infection headache. Pain is not constant but comes in waves. Does she need to see a doctor or ride it out? She said you could draw a line down the center of her skull and one side is perfectly fine, pain entirely on left side. Has jaw pain and very slight swelling and bruising - actually very hard to see.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Too early to bother much

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

From your description, if she was not experiencing any pain immediately before the accident, I do think proper pain control should be sufficient. It is imperative to know if she had the one sided pain before she was hit by the dog.

If not, appropriate simple analgesics and anti inflammatory drugs should be sufficient in my opinion. It might be of interest to know if she has any gastritis or history of peptic ulcer disease. If not, Appropriate doses of Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen, which are over the counter drugs should be sufficient.

In case she has a stuffy nose, nasal discharge, discharge which drills to the back of the mouth, it could be that the accident added to the existing pain. If not, I suggest appropriate doses of Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen for a couple of days. Persistence of the pain would suggest evaluating for the sinus infection or any other brain serious condition like hemorrhage. A CT scan and an ENT specialist ' s opinion would then be important.

At this point in time, I do not think you really need to be too worried. Go on Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen or other anti inflammatory drug first.

Kind regards as I wish her the best of health.

Dr Bain

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work after 4 attempts and they have prescribed him various medications to control the rate of the heart. We...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78 years old and very active. eat healthy, Take a staten and low dose blood pressure and lots of vits daily

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some organs or the muscles where may be some inflammation. I have taken X-ray , gone through CT-Scan and Lever test and as per the direction of a hospital but they could not find out anything wrong. I am 53 year old.