What causes one sided headache after dog bite?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: My daughter was hit in the nose by her dog 3 days ago and has had migraine type pain off and on - left side of her head since then. There is a very slight face swelling. Pain is simlar to when she has sinus infection headache. Pain is not constant but comes in waves. Does she need to see a doctor or ride it out? She said you could draw a line down the center of her skull and one side is perfectly fine, pain entirely on left side. Has jaw pain and very slight swelling and bruising - actually very hard to see.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Too early to bother much

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

From your description, if she was not experiencing any pain immediately before the accident, I do think proper pain control should be sufficient. It is imperative to know if she had the one sided pain before she was hit by the dog.

If not, appropriate simple analgesics and anti inflammatory drugs should be sufficient in my opinion. It might be of interest to know if she has any gastritis or history of peptic ulcer disease. If not, Appropriate doses of Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen, which are over the counter drugs should be sufficient.

In case she has a stuffy nose, nasal discharge, discharge which drills to the back of the mouth, it could be that the accident added to the existing pain. If not, I suggest appropriate doses of Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen for a couple of days. Persistence of the pain would suggest evaluating for the sinus infection or any other brain serious condition like hemorrhage. A CT scan and an ENT specialist ' s opinion would then be important.

At this point in time, I do not think you really need to be too worried. Go on Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen or other anti inflammatory drug first.

Kind regards as I wish her the best of health.

Dr Bain

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T