What causes one leg to swell?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been having edema in my left leg. I am 68 years old, female, and I work on my feet constantly for 9 hours, 3 nights a week. I started to experience pain pain and a callus on my superinumirated R foot. I had no swelling at the time. I went to a podiatrist got two standard inserts,the right one, he shaved off where my callus was. This was in December 6th 2017, about a month ago. So my R foot doesn't bother me anymore, but it is very painful to work, because my L foot swells now. I have wear compression knee highs, 12 to 18 psi (oh by the way, should I wear both compression socks?, only one foot swells.) As soon as I get home, I put my feet up on a hard foam rubber about 8-9 inches high. Actually, I sleep with my feet up, this cushion has become a staple on my bed.Also, I wiggle my toes, and have cut out ALL SALT. Maybe my L foot is swelling up because I am favoring my R foot for some reason. I shouldn't be, because that is the one that I got an insert for the callus for. So it's either extreme edema in my L foot or a painful callus on my R foot. I try, consciously, not to bear weight on my L foot, and I get upset with myself when find that I am. Do you have any advice for me?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You might need ultrasound Doppler, renal and liver functions and echo

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, you need to have an ultrasound Doppler of lower limbs for patency of arterial and venous systems as well as D-Dimers, to rule out any signs of Deep venous thrombosis.

Renal functions and liver functions should also be monitored, as well urinalysis to look for any signs of protien loss in urine. Sugar levels and thyroid levels should also be monitored. A baseline echo cardiogram to look for ejection fraction of heart and it's pumping ability should be done.

Meanwhile taking diuretics like furesmide in low dose may help but work up of cause should be done. For pain in right leg, uric acid levels might be needed and OTC analgesics like acetaminophen can help.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D