Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

What causes one leg to swell?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 1419 Questions
I have been having edema in my left leg. I am 68 years old, female, and I work on my feet constantly for 9 hours, 3 nights a week. I started to experience pain pain and a callus on my superinumirated R foot. I had no swelling at the time. I went to a podiatrist got two standard inserts,the right one, he shaved off where my callus was. This was in December 6th 2017, about a month ago. So my R foot doesn't bother me anymore, but it is very painful to work, because my L foot swells now. I have wear compression knee highs, 12 to 18 psi (oh by the way, should I wear both compression socks?, only one foot swells.) As soon as I get home, I put my feet up on a hard foam rubber about 8-9 inches high. Actually, I sleep with my feet up, this cushion has become a staple on my bed.Also, I wiggle my toes, and have cut out ALL SALT. Maybe my L foot is swelling up because I am favoring my R foot for some reason. I shouldn't be, because that is the one that I got an insert for the callus for. So it's either extreme edema in my L foot or a painful callus on my R foot. I try, consciously, not to bear weight on my L foot, and I get upset with myself when find that I am. Do you have any advice for me?
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You might need ultrasound Doppler, renal and liver functions and echo

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, you need to have an ultrasound Doppler of lower limbs for patency of arterial and venous systems as well as D-Dimers, to rule out any signs of Deep venous thrombosis.

Renal functions and liver functions should also be monitored, as well urinalysis to look for any signs of protien loss in urine. Sugar levels and thyroid levels should also be monitored. A baseline echo cardiogram to look for ejection fraction of heart and it's pumping ability should be done.

Meanwhile taking diuretics like furesmide in low dose may help but work up of cause should be done. For pain in right leg, uric acid levels might be needed and OTC analgesics like acetaminophen can help.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor