question-icon

What causes of acute urinary incontinence?

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015
Question: Can dehydration cause urine retention
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal (15 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
yes it can

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Mittal.I have read your query.
I think I would be able to help you.
The fact remains that the dehydration, if severe, cam result in renal shutdown.
When that happens, the urine output falls and the patient goes into oliguria or anUria. This looks like urine retention.
Commonly, once hydration us resettled the urine output can return to normal.
if however the damage is extensive a kidney failure nay happen and a nephrologist needs to be consulted in such situation.

I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I hope that the information helps you. Please feel free to contact us for more information. Best of luck. Dr Mittal.
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist