Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

What causes oesophagigitis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 1113 Questions
W as eating very spicy chinese food last night. Got ahold of an extremely spicy pepper or something. After ingesting it, felt like my esophagus closed up entirely. Could not breathe in or out for about 15 seconds then started to wheeze. Then little by little the air passage opened up. Extremely frightened. Is this a food allergy? And could this be fatal if done again?
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Neither food allergy nor fatal if done again Detailed Answer: Hi Sir, I have gone through your query and medical history, it suggests that this condition neither food allergy nor fatal if done again and it also suggests that you may be suffering from the oesophagigitis. If you want relief from this condition then avoid spicy foods, hard foods, acidic foods and alcohol and tobacco. Medications that block acid production such as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) or H2 blockers, like omeprazole or Ranitidine will help. Eat 5 or 6 smaller meals during the day instead of larger ones. Eat soft foods, such as puddings, applesauce, soups, and custards. Take small bites of food and chew thoroughly before trying to swallow. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query. Wishing you speedy recovery. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes oesophagigitis? 23 minutes later
Is there anything to do or take during the attack?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Nothing to do Detailed Answer: Hi Sir, I have gone through your follow up query and suggests you that nothing to do during the attack just prevent the attack by strictly avoiding the spicy food. Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor