question-icon

What causes oedema with drainage in the arms?

Posted on Thu, 11 Oct 2018
Question: mother in law had disllocated shoulder reduced non surgically but dislocated again on its own. due to multple medical problems she is not a surgical candidate. now that arm as swollen and great deal and was hurting but now she tells me it is still "leaking" but arm has gone way down. What could be the probem causiing edema with drainage?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

Can be persistent dislocation or hematoma.

Detailed Answer:

The persistent swelling and pain in the area can be due to an incompletely reduced shoulder joint or a hematoma in the area. An infection also needs to be ruled out after an examination.

You need to consult an orthopedician and get her X-ray and MRI scan done to find out the cause of the swelling. The treatment will then depend on the cause.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon