What causes occasional pain radiating from upper-right back to neck?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Relationship
Question: I occasionaly suffers from neck pain. Pain emerges from right-upper back and goes thorugh neck. Movement of neck is also restricted to some extent and whenever I try to make movement, there is pain. I have consulted few of pysiotherapist and they suggest some medications citing stress reasons. But after the medications, pain comes back after few days.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chronic stress can cause somatic pains

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic

I can understand your concern. A lot of individuals have complaints of chronic non remitting neck pain. In some patients cervical spondylitis is found to be the main reason for pain but you are just 25 years so the possibility of spondylitis is rare. Chronic pain not reducing with medicines can also occur due to some chronic stress or some times due to somatisation disorder. In somatic pain all investigations come normal and no definitive cause of pain is found. I would advise you to please consult a neuropsychiatrist for proper evaluation and treatment.

Medicines like Gabapentin or Pregabalin can help to reduce the severity of pain and will help to reduce stress. For chronic pain pain killers as sustained release Flupirtine can help. The medicine is safe to use and provide effective pain control if taken regularly. Please discuss with your doctor regarding the prescription of these medicines.

Try to avoid use of pillows for some days. Ultrasonic physiotherapy also helps in quick recovery. Relaxation exercises like progressive muscle relaxation exercise have good role in reducing stress.

Thanks, don't be stressed for that pain, it will reduce with proper medicines.

Hope this helps you, if you have more doubts you can ask again
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist