What causes occasional numbness on left side of face and hands?
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.
The fact that those symptoms have been present on and off for years is somewhat reassuring as it excludes causes like stroke or malignant brain tumor.
Other possible causes which might have to be excluded are multiple sclerosis or an epileptic seizure. For that I believe that a neurological consult is needed to evaluate for neurological signs and the need for tests like MRI of the brain and EEG.
However beford you start to panic I would say that the most probable cause in my opinion would be anxiety and I am recommending the above just to make sure there are no other signs you might have missed.
Also before those, some more routine blood tests are recommended to screen for possible metabolic abnormalities which might cause such symptoms like: complete blood count, blood sugar, electrolytes, thyroid function tests,vitamin B12 and D levels.
I remain at your disposal for further questions.
Thank you for the update.
It is good that you are seeing a neurologist given the persisting nature of your symptoms. What I expect he will do apart from history taking is making a neurological exam to test for the possibility of other subtle signs you might have missed which could indicate a brain involvement, signs like balance and coordination issues, ocular abnormalities, weakness of the muscles in the face or in the limbs, abnormalities of sensation etc.
According to the findings he could tell you that:
- all is normal and you have nothing to worry about because its probably due to anxiety
- there are some signs which make it necessary to investigate for issues like MS (I keep mentioning MS, not because I consider it that likely but only because it's more common in young people), or a vascular malformation (born abnormality of the blood vessels).
- all is normal but still an MRI might be scheduled just to make sure.
I hope things will work out for the best.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Meth use cause left hand numb
- What causes headache and numbness in left hand
- Occasional numbness in lower leg
- What causes numbness in my hands and face
- What causes painswelling and numbness in hands
- Lump under chin occasional numbness
- What causes numbness in face and arms
- Occasional numbness in legs and hips
- Does gastric trouble cause for numbness on the left hand
- What causes numbness in right hand