What causes occasional nerve pain in the arch of the foot?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: In the recent past I have had occasional nerve pain in the inside arch of my left foot. Just recently I have developed an INTENSE
Nocturnal itch in the ball of the same foot. This keeps me awake. It was uncomfortable one night I took an anti anxiety med to get some sleep. Tonight I am getting relief from a Salonpas lidocaine patch. Changes from new shoes or something different. Arch discomfort only when wearing shoes...horrible itching only at night
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Related to nerve irritation.

Detailed Answer:
An occasional nerve pain in the arch of the foot can cause a persistent pain if you wear an ill fitting shoe. Using shoe inserts and changing the shoes with a soft sole shoes or sports shoes will help. The itching in the ball of foot is also suggestive of a nerve irritation. You can start taking methylcobalamin supplements and see if it helps.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Why does this only occur at night when I am off my feet?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
weight bearing decreases itch sensation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The itch and nerve irritation can get suppressed by the pressure on it during the day due to body weight. The nerve irritation is more prominent when it is off weight.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.