question-icon

What causes occasional fever, cough and diarrhea?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015
Question: My daughter is 3.5 yrs old. She is down with fever which is showing up occassionally in the past 2 days. She also has some cough and loose motions.Can you prescribe a medicine for her loose motions. I gave her Fepanil when she had temperature above 102 and Clavam Bid for cough.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (26 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Such infections are pretty common. No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

It seems that your child is sufferring from a gastrointestinal infection. The mainstay of treatment in such a case is giving adequate water and fluids. Let me assure you that if the amount of intake of intake of salts and water in the fom of ORS (oral rehydration solution) is more than or equal to the amount lost through stools, there is nothing to worry. Treatment will not bring down the frequency or duration of diarrhea. Fepanil will help in relieving the temperature. Since you have begun Clavam Bid, you must complete the course.

If the child becomes lethargic, you will have to rush her to a pediatrician without delay.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician