• question-icon

What causes occasional dizziness and lightheadedness while having stress?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
I am a 35 year old woman. I'm active and in pretty good shape though I have been under a lot of stress lately and have gained about 10 lbs over normal. In the last few months, I have been occasionally feeling dizzy and lightheaded, and experience moments of slight disequilibrium. I have had surgery on one ear, have had chronic ear infections, and had a tympanectomy at age 18. I feel that I can safely attribute the disequilibrium to inner ear issues, but the dizziness and light headedness are more concerning to me. Your opinion is welcomed.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tests to rule out anemia and thyroid issues and some advises to help improve

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing at healthcaremagic.
I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

The symptoms you have can be caused but several different conditions and because they have been lasting for a few months now it might be good to have some tests to rule out some medical conditions like anemia, thyroid problems etc.
I would recommend you to first have a CBC with ERS to check for anemia and also TSH and FT4 to check the thyroid function.
Other tests that might be needed if you have not had them in the last 2-3 years would be fasting sugar and lipids as routine tests. In symptoms that are so general a general metabolic panel might be good (including liver, kidney tests and electrolytes also)

If the above tests come normal and you do not have other symptoms other than the ones mentioned than the symptoms might be due to the inner ear or also anxiety and stress.

When we are anxious we might get non specific symptoms like dizziness, and feeling lightheaded. A visit with your doctor might help to diagnose this. Especially after questioning you and having some forms filled (PHQ 9 and GAD 7) the doctor might have a better idea what is going on.
If you feel stressed and overloaded counseling might be a good idea also and might help you feel better.

Going for walks, talking with someone you trust and feel free to share with, having nice times with friends and family, trying to find time to relax are all advised. It is good you try to drink well. If you are sleeping too much this might not be very helpful. Try to not sleep more than 7-8 hours in 24 hours and have a regular exercise program (30 minutes 3 times a week at least) to help with your energy.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your questions but please feel free to reply if anymore clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj