What causes occasional and severe cramps in the toes and seizing in calves?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Occasionally, I have severe cramping in my toes, where they turn under and at the same time I get severe seizing in the calves of my legs. This lasts a few minutes, until I get out of bed and try to stand, as it always happens when I'm sleeping. The toes return to normal pretty quickly, but I have to work on my leg, it always seem to happen on my left leg, even though the first time it occured in both legs at the same time. My aunt had ALS and was wondering if this could be a sign or symptom.

Please send your answer via e-mail. I have a problem using my XXXXXXX phone. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This doesn't sound at all like ALS

Detailed Answer:
Hello. More likely causes would be low potassium, low calcium, or low magnesium serum levels. Another less likely cause would be a disk problem in your lower back.

You need to let your doctor know about the problem and get some blood work and possibly an MRI of your lumbar spine.

Please let me know if you need to discuss this further
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ralph Chambers 6 hours later
Thank you Doctor for your review....I do have blood work done, usually every 3 months, except for more recently. I will see my primary within a week or two. I understand that I probably have the above low levels of necessary serums. I also have had gallbladder surgery, and hernia surgery(the one by the belly button), I forget the name. The surgeon told me he tried to adhere both ends together, hoping they would hold. Because it was an emergency surgery, discovered with an MRI, he told me I might need additional surgery at a later time. I think the time has come, but I haven't been back to the same surgeon....another question about that later!! No, I'll ask now!! Both of my surgeries were performed by two different doctors from the same medical group. During the post-op period in the hospital, I did not see either doctor for a follow-up in the hospital. Another doctor from the group came to see me after both operations, and I like him very much. Would it be ethical on my part to make an appointment with this doctor? More problems to follow....
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It would be fine to see that doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello--that's fine for you to see the doctor you like. Please let me know how it goes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng