• question-icon

    What causes numbness with pins and needles on lower leg of a hypertensive patient?

Posted on Fri, 26 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi I am a 58 year old woman with a history of hypothyroidism and well controlled hypertension. I take eltroxin 200mcg x 3 wkly and 150mcg x 4 wkly and nebilet 2.5mg daily. I am off work the past couple of months with general fatigue and stress and my house is up for sale. I do feel much improved fatigue wise. In the past couple of weeks I have developed numbness and and pins and needles in my lower left leg with continuous longstanding numbness in my two little toes of my left foot. I feel occasional pins and needles in my face (left side) and left hand. I am concerned I may have Multiple Sclerosis?
I woke up one morning two years ago with left sided numbness lasting 3 hours and was investigated in casualty but they were more concerned with a possible TIA at the time. This was ruled out after an MRI and MRA. No neurological investigations were carried out at that time. I think the general diagnosis then was due to stress? I am not overweight and take regular exercise. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
L5 radiculopathy may be a possibility

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question. You have hypothyroidism controlled on medication. Your old complain of transient numbness may be TIA, sensory partial seizure or demyelinating lesions and may be nothing significant.
Now your problem in little toes of left seems to be lumbosacral radiculopathy involving L5 root. Are you having back pain.
It is less likely to be multiple sclerosis.
I will advise you to consult a neurologist for proper examination and treatment. You may be requiring imaging of lumbosacral region.
For treatment you can try physiotherapy, avoiding stooping forward, lifting heavy objects.
For treatment pregabalin, gabapentin and amitryptiline.
Hope you recover early.
God bless you.
Dr Neeraj Kumar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 32 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX thankyou for your prompt reply. I forgot to mention that I do have
Facet Joint arthritis L 4/5 so it probably is associated with that. In view of this,should I still continue with a neurological review?

Thanks again

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes consult neurologist or neurosurgeon

Detailed Answer:
Yes you need to be in consultation with neurologist
as repeat imaging, pain reliever and physiotherapy may be helpful.
Last option of surgery will be there.
You continue as advised previously.
Hope you recover early.
God bless you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Answered by
Dr. Neeraj Kumar


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2263 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Lumbosacral radiculopathy

doctor1 MD

From my waist right side to the arch of my foot I have extreme pain and tingling . I've been to a doctor who had xrays taken but no abnormal...

doctor1 MD

have numbness and loss of strength in the right leg. mostly around hamstring and quads. seems tight when i try to put my shoes on or move leg left...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have been dealing with a sciatica nerve down my right leg, i have a pressure point Velcro strap that was giving me relief but i am very...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

139 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Neeraj Kumar
  • Q - What causes recurrent painful sensation over one side of lower face?

  • Q - What does my blood test report indicate?

  • Q - What causes constant dizziness?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for weight gain, coldness and constipation

  • Q - What causes facial pain and leg numbness in a patient with diabetes?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for recurring optic neuritis in right eye

  • Q - What causes trouble thinking clearly while recovering form sepsis?

  • Q - How long should medication be continued after suffering partial paralysis?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for constant pain due to neuropathy

  • Q - What causes burning sensation in buttocks of a person with spinal problems?