• question-icon

What causes numbness with pins and needles on foot whlie bending knees?

Posted on Mon, 14 Apr 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello I have a problem with my left leg/knee, when I sit XXXXXXX complete bend on my left leg even for few minutes, I end up getting numbness and pins and niddles on my foot, mainly on big toe, I have also felt slight pain once on the side/inside of the leg near the joint (patella). I have been told by the doctor at first that its because everything in me is compact as I am thin, before that I was told its a nerve, which is definite but nothing else. No solution given. This has been more the case since more after my accident over two years ago when my leg bent but no real injury on any part of my body just scull pleading. Also I did some time ago about a month had pain in both joins for which I was given tablets as was told it was inflammation but I took a few and then just cold liver oil, flaxseed and black seed for about two weeks which sorted that pain out.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Description below. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Considering your age and your present complaints, you might be suffering from chondromalacia patellae. In early stages it presents as painful initiation of movement of knee and later on subsides during routine work. But it is too early to say that you are suffering from this condition, without a proper clinical examination by an orthopaedician. Visit your doctor, get yourself examined. Your doctor will advice you to go for a xray. Generally physiotherapy for your quadriceps muscle with straight leg raising and knee mobilisation will improve your muscle strength and will decrease the progression of arthritis. Life style modifications like avoiding stairs, squatting, sitting cross legged will also help in reducing your symptoms. Reducing weight is of prime importance if you are overweight. I also suggest you to check your vit d and vit B12 level. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 minutes later
Hello okay thank you, I will still get back to you on this, I did forget to mention that when I had a massage around the knee and foot I felt a little tingling in the big toe and something on the actual bottom of leg. I have been low on vit D before.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nerve compression or deficiency of Vit B12. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query again. Tingling in big toe and bottom of foot could occur due to nerve compression or deficiency of Vit B12. Taking vit D and methylcobalamin supplement will be helpful in reducing the symptoms. Warm regards.
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later
Hello I forgot to mention something else also, when I was massaged, I had more sensation in the right leg ( not effected) than the effected left leg, what could that mean
Brief Answer: It is not related to massage. Detailed Answer: Hi, Your tingling sensation is not related to massage. These could be due to vit B12 deficiency. I suggest you to get vit B12 level checked. You can discuss me after the reports or with your doctor. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 29 hours later
Hello Okay thank you, I will do that
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: I would appreciate your reviews about this service Detailed Answer: Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile http://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-saurabh-gupta/64132
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Hello Okay will do.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome for further queries if you have. Detailed Answer: You are welcome for further queries if you have. Warm regards.
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement