What causes numbness with discoloration in the extremities and tunnel vision?

Dr. Shashidhar B K

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Veins and Arteries
Question: My husband saw a doctor today, and the doctor wants to do a test for abdominal aortic aneurysm. He has numbness in his arms, legs, and feet. His toes have sores on them, and they are turning dark blue to black when standing. He has tunnel vision and time and loss of periphial vision. He has a spinal stimulator for RSD. I feel the doctor is ignoring all symptoms. Can you tell me if what he is suggesting seems reasonable?
My husband is a 49 year old white male. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shashidhar B K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Reasonable to get tested for vascular pathology(including aneurysms )

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, Welcome to HealthcareMagic, thanks for your question.

Vascular pathology (block in the blood vessels) is one of the differential diagnosis for RSD related symptoms. Aneurysms are one such blood vessel disorder.

However aneurysms usually don't cause signs or symptoms until they rupture. They can grow large enough to press on nearby body parts, or block blood flow due to formation of clots. Blocked blood flow can result in loss of sensation, numbness or change of color in the toes. Pressure symptoms include nausea, vomiting, back pain and abdominal pain.(If they rupture it can be catastrophic.)

As you already know RSD is associated with severe pain and sensitivity, swelling, and changes in the skin. All of which can be seen with vascular pathology also. Considering your husbands continued symptomatology (despite the stimulator and other methods) it would be prudent to test for vascular pathology including aortic aneurysms (if no evaluation was done during initial presentation with above mentioned symptoms).

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to ask further.

All the best
With regards.

Dr.SBK

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee