What causes numbness of feet?
which feels like their swollen
Diabetes is the common cause of neuropathy
Thanks for writing
After going through your query, the numbness in your feet may be caused by any disease which interferes with the blood and nerve supply of the legs. Although many medical conditions can cause but Diabetes is the most common cause leading to nerve damage that is neuropathy.
In neuropathy, the leg nerves tend to become damaged first, at their furthest ends in the feet. This leads to tingling and numbness in the feet as well.
Do you smoke and take alcohol because there consumption may lead to numbness.
Beside diabetes other common causes are-
Pinched nerve at lower spine
Chronic kidney disease (uraemia)
Vitamin deficiency (vitamin B12 and occasionally vitamin B6)
Low thyroid hormone levels
Vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels)
My advice for you would be get following blood test done to find out the cause -
Fasting and after meal(pp) blood sugar test, Urine routine and microscopic test, Thyroid profile, Level of vitamin B12,Blood urea and serum creatinine level. Beside this blood test you need a physical examination so it is my advice to visit a local doctor.
As far as treatment you may have drug pregablin under medical guidance beside vitamin B 12.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query
Dr.chugh, Orthopaedic surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes sudden pressure and numbness in feet
- What causes painful bruise on knuckle and numbness in feet
- What causes swelling and numbness in feet
- What causes numbness in hands and feet at night with altitude
- What causes tingling and numbness in feet and hands
- What causes numbness in facelipshandsfingers and feet
- What causes numbness and itching in feet and toes
- What causes burningstabbing pain and numbness in feet
- What causes tingling and numbness on feet
- What causes numbness in legs and sole of feet