What causes numbness in toes?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have numbness in the second and third toes of both feet. This has been noticed by me for a long time but recently it seems to have become more bothersome. The numbness and tingling is not painful, just annoying.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mild nerve compression likely.

Detailed Answer:
A numbness confined to only second and third toes of both the feet is likely to be due to a minor nerve compression at the level of lumbar spine.
This is likely to be due to spondylottic changes in the spine which cause the nerve root compression at the spinal level.
These are age related degenerative changes in the spine and are progressive in nature.
Adequate bed rest and physical therapy are the mainstay of treatment.
Improvising your posture while sitting will be helpful in retarding the further progress of such changes.
For symptomatic treatment taking methylcobalamin supplements will be helpful.
Doing an MRI scan of the lumbo sacral spine will help in confirming the diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal