What causes numbness in toes and heals of both legs following C-section?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I just had a C-section 9 weeks ago, and my toe and heals are still numb, I also go to bed cold and then wake up hot every 1-2 hours, is this normal? and what can I do?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post epidural numbness in both toes...

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to healthcare magic.com for an opinion,
The numbness in toes and heals of both legs following cesarean section is most likely seen as one of the side effects of spinal/epidural anaesthesia given during the surgery. The nerve symptoms usually resolve on their own within weeks or sometimes months. While any areas of numbness persist, take extra care because this may prevent you from feeling painful sensations in the usual way.
These symptoms are though uncommon but seen in about 20 per cent of cases but they usually subside on their own with time. You need to take special care while you notice these symptoms to maintain balance and steady yourself and prevent falls.

Sometimes multivitamin tablets are being advised for early nerve regeneration in such cases to treat possible conus modularise injuries during spinal anaesthesia but usually it recovers naturally with time. It may take weeks to months sometimes varying from person to person.
It is suggested that you meet your primary physician and discuss in details to take an informed decision pertaining to the symptoms.
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist