• question-icon

What causes numbness in the tongue and gums after taking Novocaine injection?

Posted on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Hello Dr. XXXXXXX I recently had a dental procedure that involved my dentist injecting my lower left jaw with Novocain. While administering the shot he hit a nerve and my whole body jumped. It felt like an electronic shock. The next day I could still not taste anything on the left side of my tongue and my gums were still a bit numb. I called him and he prescribed me steroids. I completed the 6 day regimen of the steroids but now it's been a month now and I still can't taste anything on the left side of my tongue, the gums are still a bit numb and there's a slight metallic taste. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Recover take time..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

If the nerve was directly hit then it can get injured that can inturn cause the symptoms that you are facing..

As nerve repair and regeneration is a slow process therefore you should keep patience as it will recover gradually..

Needle prick injuries generally recovers completely so do not worry about it but you need to keep patience s it can take upto 2-3 months to recover and even more something..

You should also start taking Vitamin B complex supplements as they are helpful in nerve repair..

Please write back for more queries..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist