What causes numbness in the legs?

Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello Experts,

So my question is related to frequent numbness in legs.

My mother, aged 60, is experiencing a frequent numbness in her legs since 10 days. 2 days back, that numbness spread all over body and she started feeling very uncomfortable, got scared, got sudden sweat, she felt her body like a hard object. We also checked her blood pressure and found that it was grown up a little. After 2-3 hours she started feeling little comfortable.
We consulted our city orthopedic surgeon, and he said that the numbness is due to lack of vitamins supply in leg nerves.
As an initial dose, he advised her to get strong psychologically and he gave medicines that will cure incidents like sudden fear, uncomfortness due to numbness,sudden sweat etc. He advised her following medicines:
Nexito 10
Klonaz 0.25
Primox 25 mg
Mahagaba m od

However after taking above medicines she is feeling very sleepy, and during that period her leg numbness goes away. But when medicine effect stops after around 10-12 hrs, she again feel numbness in her legs.
Could you please advise if orthopedic surgeon has given a right set of medicines. Why such frequent numbness?
If it is due to vitamin deficiency, should we go for vitamin tests?
What is best treatment you suggest?

My mother had undergone an open heart surgery 2 years back where a hole in heart was patched and closed. Apart from this she has no other disease. She is not diabetic person. Also her BP stays normal most of the time.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
MRI Brain with whole spine screening is needed

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthCareMagic.com I am Dr.J XXXXXXX Anto Bruno Mascarenhas. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

There is less chance for vitamin deficiency causing Frequent numbness, that too involving whole of limbs and body

This is possible due to reduction in blood supply to brain or spinal cord or some compression and mass effect

Instead of Vitamin tests, I would suggest a MRI Brain with whole spine screening.

The treatment so far given is OK if the numbness is because of psychological reasons (which I opine has less chances as per your narration)

But if there is problem in blood flow or some mass
effect we have to diagnose that first and get proper treatment

So, my Plan of Action would be MRI Brain with whole spine screening

Hope you found the answer helpful.

If you need any clarification / have doubts / have additional questions / have follow up questions, then please do not hesitate in asking again. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery
Let me know if I can assist you further.

-oOo-

PS 1 : After all your doubts have been cleared, kindly (a) Close this Question (b) Rate my Replies and (c) Give your Feedback.

PS 2 : In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly in HealthCareMagic at http://bit.ly/askdrbruno
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D