What causes numbness in the legs and back pain?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: IHave numbness in my feet and legs up to my knees. I also ha e a hard time keeping my balance when walking. I feel like I have goloshes on and am trying o walk in water. I had 2 weeks of lower back pain in January 2017?. WHat is causing all this and what should I do?

I do not have back pain now.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be spinal canal stenosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
In my opinion , your current problem of numbness in legs below knee and imbalance could be caused by Pressure on spinal nerves at spinal canal- this is called Spinal canal stenosis.
I would suggest pregabalin + mild muscle relaxants and a lumbar bely at present. I recommend MRI of lower spine to confirm the diagnosis.
Hope this information has been useful. Please feel free to ask any other question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon