What causes numbness in the left cheek, arm and toe?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have numbness left cheek, arm and left toe.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hard to fit all these into one problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for your question,
It is hard to figure out one lesion that could account for these complaints in different sites. Numbness and/or tingling is usually due to a nerve irritation or impingement. The left cheek could be from the facial or trigeminal nerves. The left arm depends upon what part of the arm but if it is all parts of the arm this is likely from a nerve impingement in the cervical spine. Toe numbness without numbness further up the leg is likely a peripheral nerve problem.
It does not sound like a pattern you would get in a stroke.
However with this widespread numbness I would definitely suggest that you see a neurologist. You will probably need an MRI of the brain to rule out Multiple Sclerosis and you may need some nerve conduction studies. It would be best to see a neurologist as soon as possible.
Dr. Robinson