What causes numbness in the heel of the foot and toes?

Dr. Shashidhar B K

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: what causes numbness and prickling in heel of foot toes are numb
Answered by Dr. Shashidhar B K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Multiple etiology-needs evaluation by a physcian- neurologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, welcome to HCM.Thanks for your question.

Numbness and tingling over the feet and toes can happen due to multiple causes which include: neuropathy(associated with disease's like diabetes, hypothyroidism, electrlolyte imbalance or with alcoholism),due to compression of nerves in your spine, compression of nerves along your thigh or leg or ankle, compression of blood vessels (peripheral artery disease,vein thrombosis- due poor supply of nutrients to your nerves)deficiency of essential vitamins or rarely as part of stroke or side effect of medications.

Since your blood glucose is 104, I presume you are not diabetic(single reading is not confirmative-might need to be checked again).At your age (75) it can be due to compression of your nerves in your back, such numbness would be typically aggravated after a walk or standing for some time.Blood vessel compression is also a possibility which will need examination of your pulses and your limbs for other signs of compression.I would suggest you to see a neurologist if the numbness persists or worsens.

Hope this answers your question.

All the best
With regards.

Dr.SBK
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad