What causes numbness in the hand in an elderly person?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Veins and Arteries
Question: 56yr old male no heart history. numbness & XXXXXXX horse feeling in rt. arm. finger & thumb displays purple color@"half moon" under bottom of nail. also finger - thumb r cold as if poor circulation i hope u can provide a clue! thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
you need to get clinically examined and investigated thoroughly ..

Detailed Answer:
Hello xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Welcome to HCM,
I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

Now all those symptoms and signs which you've described, is typically indicating compromised circulation (the Arterial blood supply to be specific), another sign indicating the same is that it's affecting only the right arm, finger and thumb (an extremely likely order that the arterial supply is getting compromised)..

It's good that you don't have any cardiac issues but this is a different concern..

Please seek immediate medical attention (simply visit your nearest ER/Urgent care) for a detailed clinical examination of the area, few relevant investigations(eg. CBC, Coagulation profile, BUN, Creatinine, and/ Color Doppler of the Veno-arterial system) to rule out any underlying thrombus/vascular spasm/entrapment which may be the likely cause for these..

Time is extremely important right now, as in a suspected vascular compromisation, the underlying cause should be identified as soon as possible to avoid tissue damage to the areas those vessels supply..

Please call for help, don't try to drive, don't try to move the affected hand too much, try to gently keep it wrapped with a soft cotton pad to ensure thermo-insulation, and just visit your nearest ER for a prompt clinical examination and management accordingly..

Let me know how you stay in the due course..my best wishes..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee