question-icon

What causes numbness in the fingertips?

Posted on Sun, 7 Oct 2018
Question: The tip of my finger (just one) seems to be numb. Is that a sign of something?
YYYY@YYYY is my email
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Numbness of finger tip

Detailed Answer:

Numbness over the tip of the finger can be due to a number of causes, including benign causes as a temporary cold, especially if it occurred on exposure to sudden cold temperature, Raynauds phenomenon/ disease, vascular insufficiency, work related e.g. typing/ XXXXXXX use, peripheral neuropathy, pinched nerve, vitamin B6 overdose and carpel tunnel syndrome.

The area needs to be examined. If the tip is cold and painful with acute occurrence with no response to warmth, then vascular insufficiency should be ruled out. The hand should be examined and the above causes should be looked for and investigated accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil, General & Family Physician

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil