What causes numbness in the fingers when diagnosed with cervical radiculopathy?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have cervical radiculopathy since December. I was eventually given gabapentin for the pain, which was severe. Initially I lost the use of my left arm. I have 2 slipped discs at c5 c6 and trapped nerve. I have improved a lot and can work but I still have numbness in my index finger and weakness in my arm. Will I need an operation or will this improve?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No surgery for now.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HelthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Numbness is a symptom that persists for long even after successful surgical decompression of pinched nerve(s). So, since you are improving with current medication, you should continue it.

Surgery should be reserved in case of worsening of symptoms, failure of conservative treatment and/or any significant neurological compromise such paresis of the affected limb.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee