What causes numbness in the finger tips?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am 50 year female, 240 lbs, recently lost 75 lbs, I work out 5-6 times a week (low carb, lean fats, lots of greens and nutritional foods. I'm on Myrbetriq 25 mg daily, Levothyroxine 112 mcg daily, 1/2 enalapril-hctz 12.5 mg tab daily. I take multi vitamins.

Symptom: numbness in tips of fingers
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
low calcium levels suspected;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!

I have gone carefully through your concern.

From your description, i can suggest that the most probable cause of your symptoms may be a low calcium level.

Your diet has been low in calcium during the last months ( as you described).
At your age (Pre or peri-menopause), the calcium intake should be increased and not decreased.
If you are not exposed to the sunlight, a Vit-D deficiency is also probable and can contribute further in lowering the calcium levels in blood.

You didn't mention what are the multivitamin contents you are taking actually.
However, i would suggest to check calcium and Vit-D3 level.

If low, supplements should be taken.
Hope the information will be helpful. Feel free to ask further.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee