• question-icon

What causes numbness in the feet?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have numbness in my tors and feet, causes, no one seems to know ???
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Numbness in toes and feet referred to as NEUROPATHY

Detailed Answer:
Good evening. You are correct when you state that if you've had blood tests done and other tests done by a neurologist then, the next step is to wait for the results. Since I'm not privy to those results before your doctor will see them I cannot say for certain that I am about to tell you will ultimately be the answer you search.

However, as a neurologist who sees many many patients with similar complaints I can tell you that the cause is most likely going to come from one of the following 3 general categories:

1. A metabolic problem such as (BUT NOT LIMITED TO) thyroid, Vit. B12, folate, hyperglycemia/diabetic complications, Vit. D deficiencies, or adverse complications of medications or substances such as alcohol and/or other toxic substances.
2. Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome- This can cause numbness and tingling in the feet and toes due to nerve compression. It's a bit unusual that both feet should be equally involved but an electrical study called an electromyelogram and Nerve Conduction Study can confirm this diagnosis
3. Other conditions that cause inflammation that are chronic such as trauma, infections (bacterial or viral), autoimmune disease (vasculitis, arthritis, lupus), tumors such as neuromas or cancers which are often in remote locations of the body, reduction of blood flow to the distal terminal nerves of the feet which are usually insidious but progressive in nature.

A good neurologist will gear their workup toward isolating the symptoms to the feet and nowhere else, decide that in fact it is purely SENSORY nerves affected and that motor strength is not affected anywhere (sometimes patients may not recognize subtle weakness until individual muscle groups are tested and demonstrate weakness).

Then, the laboratory tests will look for the metabolic and chemical/toxic agents as well as autoimmune disease that could be potentially responsible for the symptoms.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions and satisfaction could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 58 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist