What causes numbness in the body after taking HCTZ and Tizanidine?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: entire body tingling. MD recently started me on HCTZ 25 mg qd and Tizanidine 4 mg tid for muscles spasms in back. after taking these for nearly a week. have been having episodes of numbness in whole body. discomfort 8-7/10. also take gabapentin 3x day and amitriptyline 25 at bedtime. cant stand this feeling as it is total body. no way to reach my md, is this adverse or allergic reaction?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ok

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
The symptoms that you are experiencing could be due to electrolyte imbalance caused by hydrochlorthiazide please get your serum sodium and potassium levels done immediately.
You may need to stop the medication at once ,if they are very low they may need to be replaced .
Allergic reaction doesn't manifest with the symptoms you have just mentioned.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad