What causes numbness in the biceps and pressure sensation in the head?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello, today after shopping,I get in my car and both my biceps go numb and pressure in my head instantly ,for about 15 seconds then I break out in a sweat, I am a former smoker,quit about 5 years ago. could this be a heart problem?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I passed through your concern and would explain that it seems more likely to be an anxiety disorder.

Nevertheless, it is important exclude other possible causes like myocardial ischemia, a thyroid dysfunction or an electrolyte imbalance.

For this reason, I would recommend consulting with your doctor for a physical exam and some tests:

- a chest X Ray study
- a resting ECG and cardiac enzymes
- complete blood count for anemia
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance
- thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid dysfunction.

If suspicions of a cardiac ischemia are raised, a cardiac exercise stress test would be necessary.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to avoid straining physical activity and to closely monitor your blood pressure values frequently during the day. Blood pressure fluctuations can also lead to this symptomatology.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri