What causes numbness in the arms and legs?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 11 Oct 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Looking for what might be causing "hot flash" episodes in my friends back. She's being treated right now for pre-diabetes (with diet and exercise), and was just prescribed a C-PAP machine a week ago. However, she wakes up on some mornings with tingly sensations on the left side of her face, and slight numbness in her arms and legs. I've taken her to both her regular MD and to a hospital emergency room a number of times after she experienced panic attacks (due to worrying I imagine) and after a massive battery of tests, the only suggestions have been large doses of Vitamin D, B-Complex, and anti-anxiety meds. She was in great shape just a few months ago, and this is really starting to worry her now. Have you ever heard of anything like this?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not uncommon. Treatment suggested.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Going by the mentioned symptoms it does not seem that your friend is suffering from hormone deprivation (which causes 'hot flushes').

Her symptoms seem consistent with peripheral neuropathy. I would need to ask you if you are a diabetic. Deficiency of Vitamin B12 could also give rise to such a presentation. Taking methylcobalamine (Vitamin B12) 1500 mcg supplement per day for at least a couple of weeks should help in improving the situation.

She should continue the Vitamin D supplementation and anxiolytics but I would insist on cutting off the Vitamin B complex.

Such things are commonly encountered and you have to be patient.

Let me know if I could help further.