What causes numbness in shoulder along with cramps in fingers?
Nerve root compression likely.
Thanks for posting your query.
Numbness of shoulder with cramps in the thumb and second finger is suggestive of a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.
X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.
Methylcobalamin supplements are recommended for such nerve compression symptoms.
Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
You can avoid using a pillow.
As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes tingling and numbness in fingers at night
- What causes headaches nausea tingling and numbness in fingers
- What causes numbness in fingers and swollen knees
- What causes numbness and pain in fingers
- What causes severe pain in shoulders and numbness in fingers
- What causes numbness in fingers while sleeping
- Have intermittent numbness in fingers what could be the cause
- What is the cause of numbness in fingers with diabetes
- Getting numbness on finger what is the cause
- What causes shortness of breath and numbness in finger