What causes numbness in lower left side of back and abdomen?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: experiencing numbness in lower left side of back and abdomen for several days...there is no pain and is very strange as did not realize immediately but knew something felt "off" or not right, when dressing with belt and bra only on the left side...upon further examination it is definitely numb on only the left lower side of back and abdomen?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait and watch

Detailed Answer:

Since you are uninsured I would suggest a wait and watch policy before taking an intervention from the local primary care doctor. I think the spinal nerves might be trapped in the spinal cord most probably a disc bulge. Most often the bulge would subside on its own if you follow certain life style changes.

These include avoiding all tasks that aggravate the problem. Cut down weight. Assume postures that are less stressful on the lower back (google it). No smoking if you smoke.

If the current situation progresses to pain and/or weakness then it is time to see a spine surgeon for MRI of the spine. If you have some disposable income you can seek a massage therapy if it helps in alleviating the current numbness.

Hope this helps.