question-icon

What causes numbness in left arm and difficulty walking?

Posted on Thu, 12 May 2016
Question: Hi my wife fell down on saturday while out haveing a drink, she hurt one of her breast the left one and is still getting pain but not so severe, and all so shes getting numbness in her left arm she could not walk for a few days, and she as not been to the hospital as for waiting many ours. do you think she will be allright and just take painkillers
regards
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho (33 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Numbness on arm should be evaluated further.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Pain in breast may be related to local soft tissue contusion and, it is not so severe, other problems such broken ribs could be excluded.

Numbness in her left arm and difficulty walking, in the other hand, could indicate damage of cervical spine, so, in my opinion, there actually is need to consult your wife's primary care first and to be evaluated further medically and by imaging such cervical spine X-rays first.

Painkillers may help with pain related to soft tissues damage, but numbness should be evaluated further.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical