What causes numbness in hands at night along with pain in arms?
It can be due to neuropathy
I have studied your case and I think these symptoms can be due to neuropathy. It is usually due to vitamin B 12 deficiency. It can also occur due to side effects of smoking or medications. Before I advised you any further I would like to know few details about your illness.
1.Are you having any other problem like Diabetes or thyroid?
2.Are you taking any medicines since long time like for blood pressure or heart problems?
3.Are you a smoker ?
Please send me answers of these questions. I will try my best to help you.
2. I am not taking meds for blood pressure or heart problems.
3. I am not a smoker.
This started several years ago but was occasional. Over the past year or so it has gotten substantially worse. The pain wakens me at night and I have to get up and move the hand and arm around. I have taken vitamins for many years (E, B complex and sometimes mult-vit).
It can be nerve compression in the neck
Thanks for replying. I believe that you are having cervical spondylitis and there is nerve compression in the neck, This is causing pain and tingling numbness in hand. May be your sleeping posture also causing more pressure on neck.
I have following suggestions for you.
1.Avoid using very high pillow.
2.Tablet Pregabalin M one at night time will be effective for you.
3.Intermittent cervical traction exercises and neck muscle strengthening will also be helpful.
4.Soft cervical collar at night time prevent symptoms at night.
I hope these steps will be helpful for you. Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
yes dizziness can also be there.
Dizziness can also be there due to compression of the vertebral artery which supplies blood in brain. It is a common feature of the cervical spondylitis. It can be controlled by physiotherapy. You can take spin free tablet if it is bothering you too much.
You need to see neurophyscian or orthoapedic surgeon
You can show it to neurophyscian or orthopaedic surgeon.Here is one good centre.
Arrowhead orthopaedics,1901 W. Lugonia Avenue
Suite 120, Redlands, CA, United States
I hope this answer will be useful for you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes pain and numbness in forearms
- What causes tiredness numbness in arm pain in handsbackabdomenwrist
- What causes numbness in hands and feet at night with altitude
- What causes neck pain with tingling and numbness in hand
- What causes numbness and pain in fingers
- What causes numbness in left arm with pain in heart
- What causes numbness and pain in hands and joints
- What is causing numbness in hand and back pain
- What could cause numbness in hands and arms
- What causes tingling sensation and numbness in hands and arms