What causes numbness in hands and legs after having Epidural?

Posted on Tue, 5 May 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi,
I started getting numbness in my hands, legs and limbs several hours after I got an epidural. Every night since then, I wake up several times throughout the night to shake it off, to get feeling back. I have been to two doctors, both who have said that my symptoms can't be from the epidural, because my hands get numb as well, not just my legs. Nothing came up in any of the tests I have taken. Yesterday I learned that a botched epidural CAN cause numbness in the hands, legs AND limbs. (Not just an isolated area.) What kind of doctor would you recommend to seek help?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Epidural block should not cause these symptoms.Neurological examination.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.
If you would have presented to me as an outpatient,I would have told you that epidural injection(howsoever,botched it may be)should not cause the symptoms in hands as epidural must not have been given in the neck or cervical region.

So,even the botched epidural block is unlikely to result in symptoms in hands.

However,still you must be reassured and for that you need to undergo a thorough neurological examination,to actually detect if there is any neurological abnormality..Please visit a neurologist for physical examination.

Hope that I have answered your query.If you have some follow up questions,I shall be glad to answer else,please close the thread-rate it and write a review as your rating will be of help to me.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist